Betfred has been announced as the official sponsor of the heavyweight fight between Deontay Wilder and Tyson Fury this Saturday. The clash, referenced in boxing as the ‘biggest fight of the year,’ takes place at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Paradise, Nevada, and will be available on pay-per-view worldwide, including on BT Sport Box office. The showdown is a rematch of the split decision draw back in December 2018. Betfred Founder and CEO Fred Done, said: "I’m delighted to be a sponsor of the most anticipated fight of the year – and if Wilder vs Fury II is anything like the first fight we are in for a superb night." The sponsorship increases Betfred’s US presence, after opening its first US sportsbook at Grand Falls Casino & Golf Resort in Iowa last summer, while recently agreeing deals for sports betting offerings in Pennsylvania and Colorado. William Hill was unable to sponsor the ring for December's heavyweight world title boxing match between Anthony Joshua and Andy Ruiz Jr. in Saudi Arabia, as it is illegal to gamble in the country.
Donald Trump has attended the wedding this weekend of embattled and controversial White House aide Stephen Miller, who has been condemned for his links to white nationalism and his hardline stance on immigration. “The President is at Trump International Hotel for the wedding of Mr and Mrs Stephen Miller,” a White House statement said. Trump had been in Florida earlier on Sunday to attend Nascar’s 62nd Dayton 500. He returned to Washington, DC, shortly after 6.00pm. According to media reports, Miller is getting married to Katie Waldman, vice-president Mike’s Pence press secretary. Miller is one of the few remaining staffers from Trump’s 2016 campaign and widely seen as a powerful driving force behind controversial policies like the travel ban that largely impacts mostly Muslim countries and the zero-tolerance family separation policy that caused global outrage as children at the southern border were kept in cages.
Economic turmoil In early August, the primary — seen by many as a key gauge for the first round of Argentina’s presidential election — produced a result which many interpreted as a clear signal that voters were ready to reject the ruling government’s austere economic policies. Fernandez received 47.8% of the vote on August 11, with Macri taking 31.8%. It has cast serious doubt over the president’s chances of making it to a second-round run-off vote in late November. The center-right president came to power four years ago promising that his pro-market reforms and business-friendly leadership style would finally rid the country of endless economic turmoil. But, Macri now appears likely to leave office with the economy in a worse state than it was when he inherited it. During the past two days, the Astros pro-actively assisted Major League Baseball in interviewing Astros employees as part of MLB’s investigation of the events published in the recent Sports Illustrated article. Major League Baseball also separately interviewed members of the media over the past 24 hours. Our initial investigation led us to believe that Brandon Taubman’s inappropriate comments were not directed toward any reporter. We were wrong. We sincerely apologize to Stephanie Apstein, Sports Illustrated and to all individuals who witnessed this incident or were offended by the inappropriate conduct. The Astros in no way intended to minimize the issues related to domestic violence. Our initial belief was based on witness statements about the incident. Subsequent interviews have revealed that Taubman’s inappropriate comments were, in fact, directed toward one or more reporters. Accordingly we have terminated Brandon Taubman’s employment with the Houston Astros. His conduct does not reflect the values of our organization and we believe this is the most appropriate course of action. We are thankful to Major League Baseball and to everyone that cooperated in the investigation. As previously stated, the Astros are very committed to using our voice to create awareness and support on the issue of domestic violence. We fully support MLB and baseball’s stance and values regarding domestic violence. We will continue to make this cause a priority for our organization. Basketball Hall of Fame player Shaquille O’Neal lent his support to Houston Rockets general manager Daryl Morey, who ignited an international clash with China earlier this month when he tweeted support for anti-government protests in Hong Kong. O’Neal, who didn’t say whether he agreed with Morey, said he was right to speak out.
we’re asking readers, like you, to make a new year contribution in support of the Guardian’s open, independent journalism. This has been a turbulent decade across the world – protest, populism, mass migration and the escalating climate crisis. The Guardian has been in every corner of the globe, reporting with tenacity, rigour and authority on the most critical events of our lifetimes. At a time when factual information is both scarcer and more essential than ever, we believe that each of us deserves access to accurate reporting with integrity at its heart. More people than ever before are reading and supporting our journalism, in more than 180 countries around the world. And this is only possible because we made a different choice: to keep our reporting open for all, regardless of where they live or what they can afford to pay. We have upheld our editorial independence in the face of the disintegration of traditional media – with social platforms giving rise to misinformation, the seemingly unstoppable rise of big tech and independent voices being squashed by commercial ownership. The Guardian’s independence means we can set our own agenda and voice our own opinions. Our journalism is free from commercial and political bias – never influenced by billionaire owners or shareholders. This makes us different. It means we can challenge the powerful without fear and give a voice to those less heard. None of this would have been attainable without our readers’ generosity – your financial support has meant we can keep investigating, disentangling and interrogating. It has protected our independence, which has never been so critical. We are so grateful. As we enter a new decade, we need your support so we can keep delivering quality journalism that’s open and independent. And that is here for the long term. Every reader contribution, however big or small, is so valuable
A gang has stolen in the British Blenheim Palace, a more than five-million-euro gold toilet. The magnificent castle near Oxford is the birthplace of former Prime Minister Winston Churchill (1874-1965).
A 66-year-old man was arrested after the theft, the police said on Saturday. "We believe a group of perpetrators used at least two vehicles," said Crime Inspector Jess Milne.
At the scene in the castle, which is more than 300 years old, "considerable damage and a flood," the police said. The Blenheim Palace in County Oxfordshire is one of the most famous castles in England and a UNESCO World Heritage Site. A permanent exhibition is dedicated to Churchill.
The theft took place early Saturday, shortly after an exhibition opening in the castle about the Italian artist Maurizio Cattelan (58). He had also created the precious toilet called "America". His installation was fully functional and could even be used by visitors - but only for a maximum of three minutes to avoid queuing.
The owners of the palace may be embarrassed by the theft. For last month, a family member had joked before installing the toilet in the castle that the toilet is hardly steal: "First, it is firmly connected. And secondly, a potential thief would have no idea who was using it and what the person was eating, "said Edward Spencer-Churchill of The Times. He does not plan to have the installation guarded.
According to Blenheim Palace, the artwork is worth about six million dollars (about 5.4 million euros). At first, British media had written just over a million euros. The toilet was in September 2016 at the Guggenheim Museum in New York to see. There it had been installed in a toilet room and could be used for many months by the visitors. Before that, long queues always formed.
The installation "America" offers an "experience of unprecedented intimacy with a work of art," says the museum. "Cattelan's toilet points to the excesses of the art market, but also suggests the American dream of unlimited opportunity for all." Cattellan spoke in the New York Times on the occasion of the US exhibition of serious art. "It is not my job to tell people what a work means. But I believe that people will see meaning in this work. "
The loo was on loan to the US President Donald Trump, according to the Washington Post. The curator responsible for design in the White House had asked the Guggenheim whether the painting "Landscape in the Snow" by the Dutch painter Vincent Van Gogh was available on loan.
The museum refused and instead offered the toilet in consultation with the artist. "It's of course very valuable and somewhat fragile, but we would provide all the installation and care instructions," the newspaper quoted from a letter from the museum to the White House.